Monday, January 30, 2012

Weekend Update

I'm not going to lie, I've got a case of the Mondays today. Maybe because I had such an awesome weekend, but still. The older I get, the harder it is for me to bounce back from a super booze-filled weekend. Let me give you a brief re-cap:

Friday night, Kev and I went to go see Rise Against, a band that we've (especially Kev) are getting more and more in to due to the social justice themes happening in their pulsating rock songs. I love a band that shares the same values of equality for all, eating mindfully, and rocking socks off. We were surrounded by mini-vans as we drunkenly staggered to the UIC pavilion after finding a bar with amazing liquor deals, which was weird. Thank goodness my lovely brother in law had enough sense to buy us seats, rather than floor/mosh pit spaces, when he purchased them as our Christmas gift. I'm too freaking old for that nonsense. Overall, it was an amazingly high-energy and thought provoking show.


Saturday, we went to a friend's baby shower. More and more, people around me are announcing pregnancies. Every time someone does, I think "wait, we're too young! Wow!" Then I realize that I am turning 28 my next birthday, which is a perfectly respectable age at which to have a baby. Maybe I'm just immature. For said baby shower for some dear friends, I purchased a Blackhawks outfit similar to this....
....because clearly I enjoy making the babies in my life look like old Italian men. Maybe for his first birthday, I'll get him some gold chains. This kid is certainly lucky to have me in his life.

Saturday night, we went and saw Bye Bye Liver, a semi-improv drinking play that I cannot recommend highly enough. Housed at Fizz restaurant's upstairs stage, this play features hilarious skits about drinking, whole-audience drinking "socials" and a cast that gets progressively drunker as the skit goes on. The ticket stub says "admit one person who should probably let their sponsor know where they are" and that says it all. If you've spent a large amount of time in your life at bars, you'll recognize the behavior they lampoon, and I don't think it was overly promotive of alcoholism. If you are in the Chicago area, you must go see this reasonably priced show with a group of friends. We went for a friend's birthday, but there were also many bachelorette parties and 21st birthday partiers in the crowd. I definitely want to take my younger siblings when they turn 21, and would love to see it again. Plus, they have an awesome hipster guy on a Casio keyboard providing musical backup throughout the show. What's not to love?


Overall, I'd have to say it was a pretty damn good weekend. Today, I'll be heading back to the gym to get my rear in gear after two particularly lackluster weeks of healthy eating/working out. Work is actually calming down somewhat, so I'm feeling a little more able to get back on track with my goals.

What was the best part of your weekend?
What is your favorite item of baby apparel to purchase for a baby shower?
Do you ever get friend crushes?

3 comments:

  1. LOL...gold chain. I like the cotton stuff for babies and I tend to go more hand made one of a kind stuff so there are no doubles at the babyshower. But that is assuming the sex is known. If not I like to make up a basket with take out menues and Gift certificates to the take out or delivery places. As a mom I do know how exhausting an all nighter can be and then having to go to work and then maybe coming home and having to think about cooking. Or even just having to think about cooking with a new baby....thus my idea arose for the baby shower gift. It is always a big hit and no doubles either :-)

    A mosh pit...lol. Mmmmmm..I am not going to touch that one as I will date myself.

    And I am presuming you aren't on methotrexate as you can be so lucky to indulge in that game....errrr...um....or whatever it is :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No methotrexate- Plaquenil and Sulfasalazine for now. Hoping to stick to that regime for a few years, though my doc has flirted with the idea of upping my meds.

      Thanks for reading- I love the gift basket idea for new parents! I'll definitely be stealing that one soon :)

      Delete
  2. the friend crush. yes. the "i like you....could this be the real thing???" feeling. mmmm. nothing better.

    ReplyDelete