Tuesday, March 15, 2011

March Classics Challenge Update

As I've mentioned before, I'm a bit of a book nerd who loves to read anything, but sometimes needs a bit of a nudge to get more reading fiber in her diet. As I've alluded to before, I'm participating in three reading challenges this year: The What's in a Name" challenge, the Chunkster Challenge and the Classics Challenge I'll be posting a more general monthly reading wrap-up at the end of the month, but here's the progress I've made and some bite-sized notes on each book that I've read for the classics challenge.

Yes, I also realize that I haven't been posting as regularly lately. It's report card and parent teacher conference time, people. I'll try to get back to a regular posting schedule later this week. I swear.

Classics Challenge Requirements:
1) A Banned Book- ??
2) A Book with a Wartime Setting (can be any war)-??

3) A Pulitzer Prize (Fiction) Winner or Runner Up: To Kill a Mockingbird- I hadn't read this book since I had to read it back to back years in eighth grade AND freshman year of high school, but I got so much more out of it as an adult. Awe-inspiring, beautiful and full of life lessons in a story that moves at just the right pace.

4) A Children’s/Young Adult Classic-Farenheit 451- I would never have picked this book up without this challenge, and I'm so, so, glad I did. It is on my list of favorites of all time. Haunting, beautiful tale written in the 1940s about the dangers in a world where books are forgotten. Prophetic and wonderful.

5) 19th Century Classic--
6) 20th Century Classic-- The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton- This book, about a girl who loves the champagne life on a ramen noodle budget hit a little too close to home. I loved the tragically flawed character of Lily Barth, but the book moved a little too slowly at times.

7) A Book you think should be considered a 21st Century Classic-
8) Re-Read a book from your High School/College Classes -

I'm planning on re-reading The Great Gatsby because I love it as my re-read, and I haven't quite decided on my other options. Does anybody have any strong opinions on a book that you think SHOULD be considered a 21st century classic? I haven't quite decided mine yet, but I'll keep you posted when I do.

Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. Your comment "I would never have picked this book up with out this challenge " is exactly why I started this challenge. Especially since you ended the thought with "and I'm so, so, glad I did"!
    Thank you for that, and I'm glad you are enjoying the challenge!

    ReplyDelete